Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Best Vacation Part 3: London


London was the first place I ever visited outside of the United States, way back when I was 7 years old. (By the way, I was a super cute 7-year-old... I wish I could find some pictures on my computer of that trip. Anyway.) Because I visited England with my family at such a young age, I'm always reminded of that first trip when I visit now. And, it makes me miss my family a lot when I'm there. This doesn't happen too much anywhere else I visit in Europe... I mean I always miss them, but France is kind of my place, and the same goes for all the other countries I've seen... I've been there without my family so it's been my own experience that I can share with them later. 

But England is ours. Even at home, we all share a love of British things like going to The Olde Ship and getting shepherd's pie and a pint, or watching Wallace and Gromit, or driving around in my mom's death trap Morris Minor convertible.
However! I still managed to have a great time with my friends! Also it was refreshing to be somewhere where I could speak my native language with everyone.

My first meal in London - fish and chips, of course! With mushy peas that were actually quite tasty.
Adding to the whole being-homesick-missing-family thing, Suburban Legends and Reel Big Fish were playing a show in London! Two bands from my hometown that played a big role in shaping my childhood/adolescence... haha. I'd never seen them outside the USA before and I was excited to take my friends to see them for the first time.


 


It was a blast, as usual! So nice to see them again.


My friends were all excited about "meeting the band"... :)

My boys and me, all the way across the world!
Adding to the missing-home thing. What a weird poster to see in London!?


I took Feathers to see some of the London hotspots.


Like Harrods, of course!

I thought I remembered this from last time I went... there is definitely a Krispy Kreme shop inside Harrods. They really do sell everything.

One thing I had never experienced in London - a Sunday roast. Apparently every pub serves a full Sunday evening roast every week. Ours had roast beef, horseradish, Yorkshire pudding, creamed leeks, veggies, and roasted potatoes. YUM. Also I got a "snakebite", which is a pint of half-cider-half-beer, with a shot of blackcurrant syrup. It sounds bizarre but it was delicious.

It was a really short trip and I want to go back before I leave Europe this time. I took the Eurostar train back to Paris and it was only a 2 hour trip! A bit pricey, but it's much better than taking a plane because it gets you from the center of one city to the center of the other. Yay!

No comments: