Monday, January 24, 2011

I live in a town with a cathedral.


I still can't believe those words most days.  I step off the bus on the way home from work, and there it is, sometimes blushing with some nice sunset light on the west facade.








From Wikipedia: "Part of the lower portion of the nave dates from the 11th century."  I can't even... fathom that...


I remember a few years ago when I was on a European tour with my parents, we were walking around the Acropolis in Athens... My dad and I (both born and bred Californians, where everything is torn down after 40 years or so) were sharing a moment of utter awe.  I said something like, "I try to think about what LA looked like when all of this was being built, and all I can picture is, like, dinosaurs."


Oh also I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth so I'm kind of into cathedrals these days.  :)

1 comment:

Kent said...

Mastadons and saber-tooth tigers getting caught in the La Brea tar pits, at the very least.