Monday, November 29, 2010

Que la farce soit avec vous! *

This was my second Thanksgiving away from home (last year was a bit rough), and my very first Thanksgiving out of the country.  I can honestly say it was the most interesting one I've had... and definitely one of the best.  Of course I missed being home with my family, but I really enjoyed being here with so many people - many of whom had never celebrated or even heard of Thanksgiving before.  There were about 22 of us, and only 3 of us were American.  Somehow everyone knew what to do though (bring lots of food!  and wine!  and eat!, be merry, etc.) and we all had a great time.


I was all worried that there wouldn't be enough pumpkin pie... or wine... but it all turned out fine.  And like what usually happens at these sorts of things, we ended up having left-over everything!  A lot of my friends here had never tried pumpkin pie and, seeing as it's my favorite part of Thanksgiving (also one of my top 3 all-time favorite pies), I pretty much forced them all to try some.  And they loved it!  One of the other American girls, Cathy, also made a huge pumpkin pie (she has a normal sized oven - jealous!) so I even got to take some of mine home and not feel bad.  Mmmm, pumpkin pie for breakfast...  :)

Making whipped cream!  I was so relieved when my friend told me she had an electric mixer after she was watching me try to whip cream with a fork.  That would have taken hours, I think..

On y va!  Here we go...

Filling plates

Les américaines - Jill (NY), Cathy (TX), me (CA)

Mmmmmm
The thing I loved most about this Thanksgiving? There were many of the good ole traditional T-giving dishes, like turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole(!), sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie... but also some new ones - sangria, pumpkin risotto (amazing!), cabbage, baguettes (bien sûr), calamari, guacamole, lemon tarts, and crêpes.

Katie carving the turkey (fillets)

This was actually my favorite part
My favorite part actually was when someone decided that we should all go around the table and say what we're thankful for... I know it was not one of the Americans because whoever it was asked us "That's what you do, right?" and all three of us kind of looked at each other and shrugged... "Well, we don't, but okay!" But we decided it would be fun.  Then my (Irish) roomie Katie was like "OK everyone hold hands!! C'mon guys, it's tradition!"  I cracked up.  I just loved how everyone was getting so into it!  Afterwards some people told me that they're definitely celebrating Thanksgiving again next year in whatever country they'll be in...  I mean, why not?  It's basically just a good excuse to get together with people you love and eat a lot of good food.  And drink.  :)

Foosball!
Oh, and for the going-around-and-saying-what-you're-thankful-for part?  Cathy had the genius idea for everyone to say it in their non-native language.  That was interesting!  hahah :)   How do you say thankful in French I don't even know!?  (it's "reconnaissant," which somehow doesn't have the same ring to it, I don't think)
The dessert table!

* This is what my high school French teacher would always tell us the day before Thanksgiving...  it literally means "May the stuffing be with you!", but it's a play on "Que la force soit avec vous", and "stuffing" in French is "la farce",  farce instead of force....... I hope you get the idea.  -shrug-  I always thought it was funny.  :)

No comments: