Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wah Wahhh.

Le Gros-Horloge
This past weekend, 7 of my fellow assistants and I went up to Rouen (pronounced "Wah" - seriously) for a little getaway.  What a great city! I wish I was living there instead of here...  there's a really vibrant, big-city feel to it.  There's those narrow winding streets with big tall old buildings that I always associate with European cities.  Not the case in Evreux.  However!  I am beginning to appreciate Evreux for what it is.  A cute small city with charm.  And I could be living in a much smaller town!  It's a good balance.  A good place to call home.



Le Vieux Marché - where the Jeanne D'Arc monument is
Anyway! Rouen!  The city where Joan of Arc was burned alive.  Eeek.   Unfortunately we didn't get to see all of it, but we did walk around on Saturday to see some of the sights.  The cathedral is spectacular.  The facade is so incredibly intricate...  and of course the inside is gorgeous... We were getting ready to leave the cathedral and we heard what sounded like a jazz band right outside - and voilà!  There was a jazz band, right outside!  A really lively one called "Orpheon Piston Fanfare".  I took a video:


video



We went to Paul, of course, and it was even better than I remembered.  I got a millefeuille aux framboises for dessert, which was kind of like baklava without all the honey and nuts, just the pastry... and then a big layer of delicious custard with whole raspberries inside.  Then sprinkled with powdered sugar.  Kind of difficult to eat while exploring the city but oh wow was it good.


Millefeuille!
Part of the display case at Paul
The pastry selection at McDonald's  (I know, right?!)

 Saturday night we went out on the town.  We probably walked the entire length of the city looking for a particular club that a friend of a friend of a friend knew about...  hah of course.

Les filles!  (One of these things is not like the other...)  Also please notice my amazing tights, thank you.

Sunday we relaxed in the park and stopped by the Fine Art Museum.  Some stuff by Monet and some interesting paintings of Joan of Arc, and admission was free since we're under 25!  Love it.  We had a little snack in this atrium cafe, with a painting of Rome (I'm pretty certain) that I could stare at for hours.  Amazing.
The weather was gorgeous today.  I'm looking forward to returning to Rouen on one of my Wednesdays off, as well as other cities around France... and beyond...!  I gotta get my travel on!

Bisous à tous <3

No comments: