Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bon Courage

Today was my very first day at one of the schools where I'll be teaching.

All I can say is that I hope it gets better.  Right now I'm trying to find free ESL teaching resources (thank you, internet) before going to bed.  Sleep always helps when I'm having a not-so-great day.

This weekend we're going to Rouen for some sight-seeing and shopping and fun things!  We drove through it briefly yesterday and it looks simply amazing.  Lots of old beautiful buildings and a there's a real city feel to it.  Evreux feels like a small town in comparison... and much of it was destroyed in WWII so there aren't many old buildings..  I still like it here though.  :)  When we were leaving Rouen, we drove by a Paul bakery and I literally screamed "PAUL!" and pressed my hands and nose up to the window.  I must have gone there a hundred times back in 2008... we Montpellier folks loved our Paul...   mmmm tarte aux myrtilles...

Speaking of yesterday - we had our big regional orientation in Rouen and I met a bunch of other English assistants who are teaching in other cities around Evreux.  Even a few from California!  (One went to USC - I had to bring up the UW game, just had to... probably not the greatest first impression but I was friendly enough.  heeh.)  One guy from England asked (jokingly?) if he could record my voice for his morning alarm (in a good way?).  Don't think I've heard that one before... 

Tomorrow is Wednesday, which means no class for les petits français, which means a day off for me.  Woohoo!  It will most likely be spent sleeping in, running errands, getting lunch with the girls, and maybe taking some more pictures.  I need to get on that.  It's just been sooo rainy here (aww, like home!) that I don't feel like taking out my camera.

Thursday I'll have another go at this whole going-to-a-school-and-pretending-I-know-what-I'm-doing business.  Hopefully the kids won't laugh at me this time...

First week here summed up in a photo.  Heyyy!..?

1 comment:

My Life in Italy said...

websites I LOVE:
superteacherworksheets.com
eslkidstuff.com
kizclub.com
flashduck.co.kr
sparklebox.co.kr

...thats all I can think of for now. (of course I teach esl kindergarten, so who knows if they'll be helpful for you?)
Soon you'll feel like you've been doing this for years, I promise!!! but for now... fake it til you make it :)

Heather